What Is Incontinence Care?
Incontinence is the loss of control over the bladder or the bowels. Bladder and bowel incontinence results from a range of factors and can be a very stressful and embarrassing condition for adults. Patients across North Texas who struggle with incontinence can contact USMD Hospital at Arlington or use our physician finder tool to locate a doctor on our medical staff who specializes in incontinence care.
In need of Incontinence Care?
Use our Physician Finder to locate a specialist to assist you with Incontinence Care.Find A Physician
Who Are Candidates for Incontinence Care?
Both men and women can be diagnosed with bladder or bowel dysfunction. There are multiple types of incontinence conditions and the treatment used to alleviate the condition will vary, depending on the type and underlying cause. Common types of incontinence are:
- Stress Incontinence: Urine leakage when pressure is put on the bladder, such as when coughing, sneezing, or jumping.
- Urge Incontinence: Sudden urges to urinate with large urine loss volume. Also called overactive bladder.
- Overflow Incontinence: Involuntary release of urine when the bladder becomes full.
- Functional Incontinence: Physical, neurological, or environmental problems with taking care of bladder needs. Also called disability-associated urinary incontinence.
- Reflex Incontinence: Involuntary bladder contraction without warning or urge.
- Bowel Incontinence: Inability to control bowel movements. Also called fecal incontinence.
The underlying cause of incontinence may be related to pelvic floor dysfunction, pregnancy, childbirth, menopause, neurologic disease, spinal cord injury, or other conditions.
Incontinence Care Review
Dr. Babaloa is an excellent doctor who has helped me considerably with problems I have had with incontinence. His bed side manner is excellent and his professional behavior is much appreciated. I can not say I am cured but Dr. Babalola continues to try different procedures to see if he can help.
What Types of Treatments Are Available for Incontinence?
The hospital offers a variety of options for incontinence care. The treatment for incontinence will depend on the underlying cause of the condition. The pelvic floor therapy program at USMD Hospital at Arlington can help patients with a weak or dysfunctional pelvic floor strengthen and retrain their pelvic floor muscles through physical therapy and biofeedback. Urogynecologists, urologists, and surgeons on our medical staff who specialize in incontinence and pelvic floor reconstruction perform procedures to treat incontinence and its effects.
Help And Healing with Effective Incontinence Treatment
Incontinence can be a mortifying ailment, but you do not have to feel shame in asking for help. Effective treatments are available. If you or someone you love is seeking incontinence care in DFW, contact USMD Hospital at Arlington or locate a physician with our physician finder tool.