Pelvic Floor Therapy in Arlington, TX
What Is Pelvic Floor Therapy?
USMD Hospital at Arlington proudly offers pelvic floor therapy to treat a wide variety of conditions. Pelvic floor therapy aims to improve the function of the pelvic floor muscles through a combination of physical therapy, biofeedback therapy, and therapeutic exercises. Patients can be treated at our facility by a contracted physical therapist. Pelvic floor therapy can treat embarrassing and isolating conditions, such as incontinence, painful sexual intercourse, and pelvic organ prolapse.
In need of Pelvic Floor Therapy?
Use our Physician Finder to locate a specialist to assist you with Pelvic Floor Therapy.Find A Physician
What Can Pelvic Floor Therapy Treat?
Pelvic floor therapy can treat a multitude of common issues and conditions. The most commonly treated conditions include incontinence, painful sexual intercourse, and pelvic organ prolapse, but pelvic floor therapy can also benefit the following conditions:
- Anorectal pain
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Interstitial cystitis
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Post-pregnancy pain
- Prenatal pain
- Pudendal neuralgia
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
Pelvic floor therapy can offer improved bladder and bowel function, improved sexual function, and decreased pelvic pain for an overall improvement of a patient's quality of life.
What Are the Benefits of Pelvic Floor Therapy?
Pelvic floor therapy offers many benefits, including specialized care for patients dealing with various pelvic floor issues. By focusing on strengthening and rehabilitating the muscles that support the pelvic organs, this specialized therapy can alleviate a range of concerns. Our skilled therapists are committed to helping patients:
- Strengthen pelvic floor muscles: Targeted exercises and therapeutic techniques build and fortify these essential muscles, improving overall pelvic health, stability, and function.
- Improve bladder control: Through regular therapy, patients can regain control and confidence in their daily life.
- Reduce chronic pain: The therapeutic practices employed by our team can lead to relief from persistent pelvic pain.
- Enhance sexual health: By strengthening the pelvic muscles, sexual health and satisfaction can be improved.
With these comprehensive treatments at USMD Hospital in Arlington, patients can expect a personalized and compassionate approach that caters to their individual needs, leading to a more comfortable and confident way of life.
What Does Pelvic Floor Therapy Include?
Pelvic floor therapy at our Arlington, TX hospital is customized for the individual needs and conditions of each patient. Patients are first evaluated with a review of their medical history, an orthopedic pelvic girdle screening, a soft tissue assessment, and an internal assessment of pelvic floor muscles. Once treatment begins, it may include education, manual physical therapy, biofeedback therapy, therapeutic exercises, or comprehensive home program development.
- Education: This aspect of therapy involves learning about the pelvic floor and may include posture and biomechanical correction, as well as recommendations for lifestyle modifications.
- Manual Physical Therapy: With this approach, the physical therapist manually manipulates the pelvic floor muscles to strengthen, stretch, or recondition the muscles. This may include the myofascial release technique, soft tissue mobilization, connective tissue manipulation, trigger point release, and joint mobilization.
- Biofeedback Therapy: This technique is designed to help you gain control over functions that normally operate involuntarily and include surface EMG training for improved pelvic floor strength or relaxation and neuromuscular reeducation of pelvic floor muscles.
- Therapeutic Exercises: These are exercises performed under supervision and at home to provide core stabilization, pelvic floor and deep abdominal wall strengthening, and muscle flexibility training.
- Comprehensive Home Program Development: This aspect of therapy is designed to help the patient manage their symptoms at home or at work and may involve family and partner training.
All of these treatments are designed to improve pelvic floor function and allow for an improved quality of life.
Pelvic Floor Therapy FAQ
What Does Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy Entail?
Each treatment is individualized based on what the patient requires. Generally, pelvic floor therapy can include joint mobilization, internal vaginal or rectal assessments, stretching, and tips on how to improve posture.
Will I Receive Exercises That I Can Do at Home?
At USMD Hospital at Arlington, we strive to keep our patients well-informed and educated. This includes offering exercises to help with your condition. Once you’ve started pelvic floor therapy in Dallas/Fort Worth, you will be given exercises for home use to maintain your gains from therapy.
How Long Will It Take Before I See Results From Pelvic Floor Therapy?
When you are consistent with your treatment, it is possible to see changes in about two weeks. Most of our patients have one visit per week for 4 – 6 weeks, and are then able to independently manage their pelvic health. To learn more, schedule an appointment with our team.
Is Pelvic Floor Therapy Covered by Insurance?
Pelvic floor therapy may be covered under some health insurance plans, as pelvic health conditions are serious medical concerns. You can speak with your insurance provider before you begin treatment to understand your insurance coverage as it applies to your care.
Improved Pelvic Floor Function Through Therapy
USMD Hospital at Arlington is proud to offer pelvic floor therapy to treat pelvic floor disorders and help you live life to the fullest again. For more information on pelvic floor therapy or to schedule an appointment, contact our hospital today.