What Conditions Can be Treated With Robotic Surgery?
Robotic surgery uses computer-assisted technology to help medical professionals perform essential operations. USMD Hospital at Arlington is proud to provide the cutting-edge da Vinci platform that offers more precision and control compared to manual surgery.
Our hospital was one of the first in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex to obtain this useful technology to perform numerous procedures with successful results. This includes bariatric surgery, colon and rectal surgery, urologic surgery, prostate surgery, and gynecological surgery.
Below, we describe the benefits of using robotics in specialized procedures and how we treat certain conditions using the da Vinci system. View our physician directory and schedule an appointment in Arlington, TX to get started.
Why robotic surgery?
Traditional surgery involves manual incisions that can be quite invasive. Surgeons must rely on their own handiwork and coordination to make the precise cuts needed for a successful operation. On the other hand, robotic surgery involves minimally invasive techniques.
USMD Hospital at Arlington operates using the da Vinci system from a special console. This technology has a 3D high-definition camera to provide a clear view of the operative site. The console greatly magnifies the image, meaning our North Texas surgeons make smaller and more precise incisions during surgery.
Those who undergo robotic-assisted procedures often experience shorter hospital stays and a quicker return to regular activities. In addition, they tend to have less bleeding and discomfort after surgery.
What procedures can be done with robotic surgery?
Robotics can be used for general surgery and specialized procedures alike. USMD Hospital at Arlington is equipped to perform the following and more:
- Bariatric surgery: Procedures like sleeve gastrectomy reduce the size of the stomach, so obese patients feel fuller faster and eat less overall.
- Colon and rectal surgery: Inflammatory bowel disease, hemorrhoids, diverticulitis, and colorectal cancer can all be managed using minimally invasive techniques.
- Urologic surgery: The surgeons who operate at USMD Hospital at Arlington can address conditions impacting the bladder and urinary tract, kidneys, and prostate gland. This includes urinary incontinence, UTIs, and pelvic floor prolapse.
- Prostate surgery: The da Vinci system can be used to treat an enlarged prostate or prostate cancer.
- Gynecological procedures: A full or partial hysterectomy may be recommended for endometriosis, uterine fibroids, or ovarian cancer.
Is robotic surgery safe?
The da Vinci platform is controlled by an experienced surgeon who has undergone extensive training in the system. Patients can rest assured that our hospital is also staffed with an expert team of nurses and technicians to support the procedure.
Robotic surgery is as safe as traditional methods, if not safer, in many cases. Our techniques reduce blood loss and your risk of complications like infection. Now, procedures that were once only possible through large incisions can be completed using smaller entry points.
Recovery from a robotic-assisted procedure varies based on the surgery and condition being treated but is often shorter and less uncomfortable than with manual methods. The team at USMD Hospital at Arlington will provide specific instructions on how to care for yourself during recovery.
Treat many health conditions through robotic surgery
Bariatric surgery, colon and rectal surgery, urologic surgery, prostate surgery, and gynecological surgery can be safely and effectively performed using robotic technology at USMD Hospital at Arlington. Learn more or schedule an appointment by viewing our physician directory online. Our team in Arlington, TX is here to help you get back to your life as quickly and safely as possible.