When Should You Consider Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Gastric sleeve surgery is a specialized bariatric procedure that helps obese people lose weight by restricting the amount of food that can be consumed or eaten at one time. Though some people are hesitant to undergo surgery because of the risks involved, treatment can be life-changing for the right candidates. The physicians who operate at USMD Hospital Arlington are proud to provide gastric sleeve surgery for North Texas patients.
In this post, our team at USMD Hospital at Arlington discusses the many benefits of gastric sleeve surgery while dispelling some common myths. We hope the following can help you understand whether this weight loss surgery might be suitable for your needs.
When should you have gastric sleeve surgery?
A gastric sleeve procedure, or sleeve gastrectomy, may be appropriate for individuals with a body mass index (BMI) of 35 or higher and who suffer from chronic medical conditions due to obesity. For example, morbidly obese patients are more likely to have diabetes or high blood pressure, which puts their health and wellness at risk. Gastric sleeve surgery is usually recommended when other means of weight loss have failed, and health conditions are likely to worsen if obesity is left untreated.
What benefits can you expect from a gastric sleeve procedure?
Obese patients can experience a number of benefits after undergoing weight loss surgery at USMD Hospital at Arlington. As a Bariatric Center of Excellence accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP), USMD Hospital at Arlington has helped patients in the following ways through gastric sleeve surgery:
- Reduced risk of diabetes: Morbidly obese patients often struggle with prediabetes or full-blown diabetes. Many people can achieve remission or may no longer require diabetes medications after a sleeve gastrectomy.
- Reduced risk of heart disease: Heart disease is a leading cause of death for men and women in the U.S. Obese patients can potentially improve cardiovascular health after weight loss surgery.
- Increased mobility: Obesity makes it difficult to move because of the added weight. Patients are often known to increase exercise and engage in physical activities after weight loss surgery.
- Improved breathing function: Some obese patients struggle to take a proper breath because of excess weight on the lungs. A gastric sleeve can dramatically improve lung capacity.
- Improved mental health: Obesity is often linked with emotional issues, like depression and anxiety. Many patients see an improvement in their overall mood and emotional health after their bariatric procedure.
Your weight loss journey is unique, and the benefits of gastric sleeve surgery may vary depending on factors like age, current lifestyle habits, and eating patterns. Your surgeon can review your treatment plan and discuss what to expect in your case beforehand.
How do you make gastric sleeve surgery safe?
It is important to understand that no medical procedure is completely free of risks, but at USMD Hospital at Arlington, we work hard to minimize risks and make the care we provide as safe as possible for patients throughout the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.
The surgeons at our Arlington, TX hospital work hard to stay up to date on the latest procedures and technologies. Surgeries may also include robotic techniques that lead to smaller incisions and faster recovery times. Your physician can discuss your unique health and situation before recommending the best options for your needs during an appointment.
Live a healthier life with bariatric surgery
Obese patients throughout North Texas often struggle with chronic health issues because of weight gain. As a bariatric surgery option, a gastric sleeve procedure can reduce your risk of serious health conditions. If you are seeking weight loss surgery in Dallas, Fort Worth, or the surrounding communities, we invite you to consider USMD Hospital at Arlington. Please visit our physician directory to locate a bariatric surgeon near you. Start planning your weight loss journey today.